II) HTML This part goes into the place you want the spoiler to appear -into a widget if you want to it in the sidebar or into your post HTML if you want to hide a part of a post: -->

Sunday 18 October 2015

‘Nigerian women make the best out of anything’

Wofai Samuel, an on-air personality is an amiable, energetic lady, and fun to be with. This Cross River State-born persona is the last and only daughter of her parents.
Wofai as she is fondly called by admirers is also a broadcaster who loves travelling, watching movies and singing, especially when she is downcast.
“I sing to derive my inspiration,” she said.
This Environmental Biology/Zoology graduate of the University of Calabar feels elated that her country clocked 55 years some weeks back, and she assured Nigerian women that she would have done a lot to put smiles on their faces if given the opportunity.

“It’s amazing how enthusiastic and elated I feel about Nigeria’s 55th independence anniversary. I want to confidently say that Nigerian women have become more aware of the polity and their supposed roles in nation building for their children and great grand children. Thus, we have become more proactive. It’s a pointer to the fact that putting smiles on the faces of Nigerian women would be effortless if that opportunity comes. I would dwell more on the basics, which I feel centres on enlightenment and self-realisation, then I would provide endless opportunities to express themselves productively and confidently. These basics cut across women in all strata of society, whether in urban or rural areas,” she said.
Wofai is not done with what she would have loved to do for fellow women.
“Also, I would also have loved to develop/nurture positive mind sets and right attitudes in women. Once these are achieved, everything else is secondary. I would like to see more Nigerian women compete and complement activities on the global scenes, especially with their contemporaries,” she stressed.
Apart from her obsession for empowering women, Wofai also has an undying passion for her job. Hence, she talked about the most thrilling aspect of her career as an on air personality.
“Engaging political stakeholders in intelligent discussions on live TV platforms has been one of my most thrilling experiences as a broadcaster. The feedback from our astute Nigerian citizenry has been exceptional. Getting on TV whether for a political interaction or hosting celebrities on red carpet is always interesting because I get countless feedbacks and lovely amazing comments,” she said smilingly.
This damsel asserted that women would have achieved a lot more if they had loved themselves the more. And which is why the affirmation of women being their own worse enemies is not new to me at all though I have had very cordial working relationship with various women in different spheres. There is bound to be rivalry, especially with women who see others as competitors. But God has helped me overcome this by accepting women just the way they are, whether they are highly placed than me, on the same cadre or even coming behind me. I subtly create an air of ‘let’s be our keeper, look out for me and I will do same for you’. The aura of ‘if we must compete, let’s be positive about it’. Our collective success matters most in the end because we could easily assist one another to grow,” Wofai stressed.
She has been making efforts in her own little way to fight this silent battle relationship amongst women.
“I have been helping to nip this situation in the bud by constantly sending out love messages on unity via my body language and disposition. For a female boss or a woman above me, respect is the thing she may need to be at ease with me. This has worked for me a great deal,” she recalled.
As a TV personality who has anchored numerous red carpet events, she believes so many Nigerian women are getting it wrong in the fashion circles.
“For me, the highest fashion blunder most women commit is dressing in a particular way that doesn’t fit the occasion. My advice has always been to study the event properly before time and choose the right clothes and accessories appropriately. Women have flaws a lot in this regard. They should know exactly when to go denim, girly, conservative and sensual,” Wofai advised.
She also unfolded experiences she had had with women on the red carpet and how the majority of celebrities fumbled with their questions.
This is inevitable, I think women fumble with questions on the red carpet a lot more than politicians do on my live shows. What do you make of a celebrity who is asked to qualify a subject in one word and she gives you a sentence. When you ask for a sentence, she gives you a word. It’s so funny and this always recurs. My production crew will always lose their cool at the sight of some of these excerpts. Very few celebrities get it right,” she said.
But one thing this affable lady does not regret in life is her sex as a female. Though Nigeria is a male-dominated society, she is still proud to be a woman.
“Nigerian women make the best out of anything. And for me that creative, undaunted, resilient spirit in women makes them unique. In the international clime, we have got Nigerian women complementing their foreign counterparts favourably. This has made the global audience realise that we’ve got a lot to offer the world. The opportunities enthroned in them is maximised to the letter making even the male folks here delegate more challenging responsibilities to the females. It’s evident in politics, media, oil and gas industries, to name a few. I will be a Nigerian woman over and over again,” she shrugged.
What lesson has life taught her?
Life has taught me patience, humility and appreciation for my mother. Life has also taught me to trust God in all ramifications.
But one memory which has been etched on the mind of this TV girl is the thing some male fans did to her some months past.
“Two male fans once knelt in front of me at the airport, asking if they could marry me. That was highly embarrassing; I felt like disappearing into thin air but I handled the situation,” she retorted.


Posted By: ADAEZE AMOS